Saturday 30 November 2013

The Longest Month

It was one month yesterday since I was officially diagnosed with cancer.  It has been the longest month of my life!  It's also been the most transforming month of my life.  It's crazy how everything about my life has changed.  I miss my old life.  I really miss work.  I love teaching, and I love my school.  I miss my students and my colleagues.  I even miss getting dressed up everyday.  Now I change from pyjamas to sweat pants and feel all spiffed up!   I miss having enough energy to get up at 5:30 am, work out, work all day,  pick up the girls from school, make dinner, drive the girls to activities, do some lesson planning, and read a good book before bed.  Now it's almost noon by the time I'm ready to start my day!  I don't miss the crazy, hectic schedule I used to be controlled by.   I do enjoy my lazy mornings in which I have time to read, pray and meditate before I do anything.  I also enjoy the time I have had to connect with friends over the past few weeks.  I've had lots of great conversations with many special people.  I hate the dread I feel everyday as I think about what the next few weeks of my life holds.  But I love the calmness I feel when I remember that God is carrying me through this, and I love how He is showing me Himself in various ways each day.  I'm sad that I often don't feel great.  But I'm happy I get to spend more quality time with my family.  I often wake up in the morning and have to convince myself that this really is my new life.  I look forward to returning to good health and being able to do the things I miss.  But I also hope I don't ever forget the good parts of my current life and use this season of my life to guide my priorities in the future.

December starts tomorrow.  It will be a very different Christmas for us this year.  I'm curious to know how it will all turn out.   Maybe we will learn to appreciate being at home, together in a whole new way!  

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares The Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you."  Jeremiah 29:11

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that this is our verse for Sonseekers this month and is a special verse for me too. Will continue to pray for you and your family. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with the four of you so often. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm so glad God is present with each of you. I can hear God speaking through the words you write. I am so thankful your doctors are fighting for a cure. We will keep praying. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help compare your reaction to your circumstance to my sister's. I'm being supportive to a sister who has just finished 8 weeks (4 rounds) of Chemo and starts 4 weeks of radiation on Dec 29. She is not a christian, however she has remained fairly positive in spite of it all. But how I do wish (really pray for) that she had a strong faith like yours. You can trust God's purpose and good intentions and rely on Him to carry you through. What a gift He has given us as believers and you had the faith to open up this package and benefit from it, many christians don't even see the package. You and Daryl don't realize you are such an encouragement to many people. I have shared your story with my sister and hope that it makes her think bout her own life. You remain on our daily pray list. God Bless You! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel! I just wanted to let you know that you are being prayed for on my end by many different people. My 'Mothers who care' group (we meet every Tuesday) have been praying for you. I've also told my mom about you and Darryl and she is the ULTIMATE prayer warrior. You guys are being lifted up daily by so many people. HE is the great physician! Benjamin is being dedicated this Sunday at church and we chose the same verse in Jeremiah as you posted. I have held close to that verse my entire life and I'm so glad you posted it. I love your messages of hope, peace, joy and love...that's what Advent is all about!! Kara

    ReplyDelete